Tuesday, 7 April 2015

Weet-bix Tryathlon 2015

Ding! Ding! Ding! My alarm went off. It's 6 o'clock in the morning and I looked outside and it was very dark. It was the weet-bix tryathlon day. So I quickly got my breakfast and quickly got in my clothes and got ready to go. My sister and I were ready to go but mum still wasn't home from milking to take us. I was getting so nervous. Click, click I heard the door open and mum was home at last. As fast as we could we put the bike and helmet into the back of the truck and all the other gear that I needed. Me, Mum and Jayda drove for 1 hour until we got to New Plymouth.  Finally we were at the weet-bix kids tryathlon in New Plymouth. First we had to take all my gear to the blue check in tent. They scanned my bar code on my event shirt and gave me a yellow swimming cap. The yellow swimming cap was for the 8 year olds race. Next I had to take my bike and helmet to the transition area. For me to find my bike and gear fast I had a stock stick with my favourite soft toy tied to the top. I then took my breakfast card to the weet-bix tent to get my free breakfast. It was weet-bix bites and peaches. After I had my 2nd breakfast for the day we went to find the Auroa school tent. Paige and I sat on the beach bank waiting for our race. Finally it was the 8 year old boys turn. It was my turn at last!  I had to swim 100metres along the beach. I tripped in a big hole and fell over into salt water and got salt and sand in my mouth. Yuck!! I got out of the water and had to run but it was so hard to run in the sand. I got into the  bike transition early where we get our bikes. I had to put on my shoes and socks, shorts and shirt. Then clipped on my helmet and ran my bike to the starting point of the bike race. I got on and started riding in 6th gear, it was hard going up the  hillside on the first corner. When I came round the 6th corner there was a crash and I was lucky to not be in that crash. The one that caused the crash was half a foot away from almost hitting my bike tyre, but I sped up. I had to bike about 4km. Now I am onto the ran part of the tryathlon. I had to ran 1.5km. Seeing the weet-box tunnel I knew I was almost finished. At the finish line were the ambassadors. Their names are Mika Vukona and Tom Abercrombie, NZ Tall Blacks and Skycity Breakers basketball players. Silver Fern netball player Catherlne Latu and All Black Aaron Smith. Tom Abercrombie gave me my medal and I got a drink of water. The hardest part of the tryathlon was the run but I was so happy I had done it all. I didn't want a photo so I went to find Mum and my sister. After the very last person finished we had prize giving then mum took me and Jayda up town for lunch.

Weet-bix kids tryathlon from Ashton sharp on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. Hey, Ashton! My name is Abby and I am a student at the University of South Alabama in the United States. I really liked how you went into so much detail about the weet-bix triathlon! You are a very good writer, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashton
    I simply cannot say enough great things about your post. I know that you've done this in your holidays but is is just a great post, with a huge amount of details and information about the event. You've also gone and identified Tom Ambercrombie who not a lot of other people identified. What an amazing post.
    Mr Webb

    ReplyDelete
  3. good story! awesome video!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ashton, I am a student at the University of South Alabama. You did a great job on your blog post. it was very detailed and gave me a clear picture of what you did. Great Post!

    ReplyDelete